Thursday, March 11, 2010

T-minus 14 days

Adoptions--especially international adoptions--are like navigating a mine field (one you have to pay for the privilege of traversing, no less). Some adoptions are such that not a single step lands on a mine and everything goes smoothly. These are rare. Others start out with an explosion from the very first step, then bombers start circling overhead, dropping their payload. Next, mortars from places unseen begin landing. It's a perilous journey. Some, and these are the true horror stories, have been nuked along the way; everything lost. Most adoptions fall somewhere in between, a few missteps, but generally mostly fluid.

Our adoption has been more of the what-else-can-go-wrong variety. Each step is difficult. More often than not we've landed on a mine. The mortars are bursting around us, sending blooms of dirt into the air, and we are vigilantly searching the skies for the Enola Gay. We've even had glimpses of her chugging over the horizon on occasion.

If it can happen, no matter how rare, it's happened to us. Yesterday, we dodged a bullet. The Ethiopian government has decided that they are going to require both parents to be present at the court date (instead of a liaison from the orphanage), which means parents will now need to travel twice. This new requirement is effective immediately. We missed this decree by one month. Phew. We feel so bad for those prospective parents who've been affected by this. I can't imagine another $4000 in costs just for flying out there. Plus time off work.

This new requirement is an attempt by the Ethiopian government to stop (or at least slow down) the number of parents who pass adoption court only to never come to pick up their children. I have no idea why people don't pick up their children, especially since the vast majority of the money has already been paid, but it happens, apparently, and often.

Today, we also received copies of the court decree declaring us legal parents of Chloë, as well as Chloë's passport and the contract between us and Ethiopia. The hard copies will come soon. This is all the documentation we've been waiting for. Everything is looking up.

We find out March 22nd if in fact we are 100% confirmed for our embassy date on the 29th. If so, and there should (SHOULD!) be very little reason why we aren't, then we fly out the 25th and finally get the beginning of the end on its way. We'll be keeping our eyes to the sky until the 22nd.

7 comments:

H. said...

I'm so excited to know Lady Ceë! I just did that so I could use the Alt-137 trick...Or, rather, I am very excited to know Chloë--AND I like using the keyboard trick!

j.b said...

There you go. The Alt keys are a handy little shortcut. There are hundreds of characters you can conjure up with the Alt key.

And we're excited too. We over the hump and quickly gaining speed on the downhill towards the end!

Unknown said...

Julee,She is reaching out to tell you she is waiting. Fortunely, She does not have to encounter the stress of all the delays and moved back dates that you and JB have had to endure. There will be time enough for her to move into adulthood with all its myriad of stresses. After She is with you a few weeks, the last year will fade into memory and be just a minor footnote in your lives. There will be daily real life joys to marvel over in the evolution of Chloe. As for Justin's dream, I believe he was remembering his childhood. What will really impact him will be when She looks into his eyes and whispers," I love you Dad", now where is my chocolate!Promise her you will not eat her candy..I used to know someone like that.....TP

j.b said...

I still hear stories, Tony, of Halloweens past. :) I will most certainly eat some of her Halloween candy. I have to check it for razor blades. I'll be sure to eat only the stuff she hates, though! :)

Unknown said...

My dad used to take all our trick or treat bags (before we ate anything)and say that they had to go to the police department to be x-rayed for razor blades. He was a cop, you know, it was believable. (I know now they put them through the metal detector.) And if the bags came back a little lighter? That was the cost of doing business with The Big Bear of the Woods. Which was my dad's preferred nickname.

j.b said...

I wanna be known as the Big Bear of the Woods, but I'm afraid I don't qualify for the position. I am tall, but more okapi than bear. More lupine than ursine.

Big Okapi of the Woods just doesn't have the same ring to it.

I'm still gonna "check" her candy. It's my duty. Any okapi would do the same!

Julee Barrett said...

Dad, you always ate the stuff I didn't like, the Maryjanes, those orange and black peanut butter taffy things, so I forgive you. I'm glad you were there looking out for me:)