Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Tickets, and two new photos

We've purchased our plane tickets!
This all seems to final, now. Much more final than we thought it would ever be. It's both nice and scary. Calming and exhilarating. Strange.

I knew Ethiopia was far away from Salt Lake, what with it being 9 hours ahead of us and all, but does it really take THAT long to fly there? Layover in LA, then DC, then Rome, then final leg to Addis Ababa, for a total of about 36 hours travel time. Yikes. The way back is similar (except from DC to Atlanta and then back home) but with the extended layover in DC (for customs) it balloons to a 41 hour travel time. Nearly 2 full days. With a toddler. Who we just picked up. Talk about an adventure.

We just received new photos of Chloe taken last week. She's looking older. It's a little sad. Already sitting up. Hopefully she won't take her first step until we get her. Seems we'll be needing to get her a prom dress before too long.

Anyway, enjoy:


5 comments:

Ms. B said...

And WE'VE purchased plane tickets to come see you!! Yeah, we invited ourselves because we're classy like that. It's cool that she's sitting up already. If you could just send her to the airport to pick us up when we get into town, that'd be great. And on the plus side, if she breaks any traffic laws on the way to get us, she can just be like, "What? I'm from out of town."

j.b said...

Well invite away. Though, to be truthful, you'd been extended an open invite. And at those prices, you HAD to fly in, right?

Either way, it'll be great to see you guys again and to have you meet Lady C.

The thought of Chloe driving is funny. And just a tad scary. I just realized I'm gonna have to teach her to drive one day. sigh.

Ms. B said...

My dad taught me to drive. It was a 1980-83 jeep. It was the color of mustard-- dijon. It was a stick shift. Together, Roy and I circled around and around the block of my parents' house (which was on a hill). That metal hotbox rang with the sound of his screams, "Clutch!! CLUTCH!! Now give it some gas!!... okay, start it up again!". Meanwhile, drenched in flopsweat, I ground the gears, jerked us back and forth, and cherished those precious times. Oh, Dad... you're in for some fun!

j.b said...

are you trying to hurt me? are you seriously trying to scare me? jeez.

we got the new measurements (we'll post them tonight) and it was reassuring that she's still quite little. this is comforting. she looks so old in the pictures... :)

Ms. B said...

I'm sorry. I didn't mean to terrify you. But I was wrong about one part, and that is that it was a 1978 Toyota Land Cruiser. NOT a jeep. It was this car:

http://carphotos.cardomain.com/ride_images/1/3169/2921/7921460002_large.jpg

Except my dad's was in worse shape. Does he still have it? Why, yes. Yes he does. Can you borrow it to teach Lady C how to drive? You damn sure can.

I think you'll be surprised to see how tiny she still is. H said she has an old soul, which I think is true, that's why she looks older in the photos. Some kids are just like that. My friend's kid, Macho Man, is 2 years old but he looks 4! Anyway, we just can't wait to see all the Barretts, new and old! Come on April!