Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Phew!

It's been a long 9 months. Long.
But, the hurdles have all been cleared and all the remains is a short sprint to the finish line.

In short, Chloe passed court today. We are now officially parents. It's surreal. It's exciting and wonderful and scary (a little) and we are so very happy.

Last night wasn't too bad. We stayed up as long as we could, then slept pretty soundly. We received an email this morning informing us that the court in Ethiopia ruled in our favor.

Next, we have an embassy date for March 15, where we will apply for a visa for Little Miss C. We will likely fly out of Utah on the 12th. We'll fly back home on the 19th.

Then, we can commence with the rest of our lives.

We don't know how many people read this blog. But, we do appreciate all of your support. It's been an arduous, and sometimes painful, 12 months, especially the last 9. There were times we didn't think this would happen. Times we were certain it wouldn't. Now that it has, we're unsure what to do with ourselves. For now, we're content just being happy and enjoying time with each other without stress and the specter of "the adoption" (dunh dunh dunh) hanging over our heads.

Thank you, all of you, for taking this journey with us.

10 comments:

Ms. B said...

I am so happy for you. If I had a heart at all, it would probably leak out a few tears of joy! However, the doctors just can't be sure whether I have one or not. Nevertheless, in celebration of this awesome day (2-2, always cool things happening then. Second only to 9-9) today I bought six books and ate a piece of citrus cheesecake with raspberry sauce. To celebrate becoming an aunt, of course! I can't wait to meet her, and to see you two again. You're going to be the best Mom and Dad ever, and some day when Chloe wins an Academy Award or cures cancer, she'll thank you two first in her acceptance speech. Love you!

H. said...

So so so so so so happy that it's all worked out, that you've passed, and that you'll be together soon. I'm in awe...

Father Luke said...

I have goosebumps. Thank you so much for sharing this wonderful journey.

j.b said...

thanks guys...your support has meant more than you probably know.

we're very excited. 5 weeks from tomorrow we fly out! :)

Unknown said...

Awesome. Congrat's! Can't wait to see her in Blue & Orange.

hlw said...

Now you'll have to change the name of your blog to...hmmm...Waiting for Justin to Get Back From the Store With Diapers, Waiting for the Bottle to Heat Up, Waiting for a Nap, etc. All great parenting titles!! So excited to meet Miss Chloe!

j.b said...

Thanks Chad and Heleen,

Good idea on the new title. I'm not really looking forward to that part of being a new parent. Luckily, she'll be just about old enough to start potty training, so perhaps the diaper runs won't be for very long. :)

hlw said...

Uh oh. I was trying to be funny, not a downer! Seriously, I hope you enjoy every second. I'm not even kidding when I say I wish I could have more days with my kids in diapers, snuggling in my lap and drinking bottles. I really miss those moments. Nothing beats holding a child you love so much and reading a story, or whatever. I still try to make Dane do it but he thinks it's weird (as he should). You have so much to look forward to with Chloe. The three of you are going to be great together!

Father Luke said...

That's funny about changing the
name of the blog.

Jen's two twins - age three - are
just getting potty trained. I can
vouch for it being a happy day when
the training is complete.

Oh joy.

: o )

j.b said...

Heleen,
No worries. I thought it was funny. Not a downer at all. :)

We look forward to it all. Frankly, we'd hoped we'd get her younger and could enjoy the spitups and poopie diapers and all of it.

Hmmm...new blog name. I suppose we'll keep this and change the name. Not sure what to, just yet. It'll chronicle the trials of two late-30s kids as they struggle raising a child they adopted. Hilarity will no doubt ensue. :)